Cannabis Manufacturing License in Virginia
Now that marijuana is legal in Virginia, cannabis entrepreneurs have the opportunity to apply and obtain licenses to have their own marijuana businesses. With that, there is a lot of licenses to choose from, and it is important to know which license will be the most successful for your needs. One of the available license types includes a cannabis manufacturing license in Virginia. Our cannabis consulting firm explains exactly what you are able to do with this license type.
What Can I Do with Cannabis Manufacturing License in Virginia?
To begin with, a cannabis manufacturing license in Virginia allows you to purchase retail marijuana from a marijuana cultivation facility or another marijuana manufacturing facility. Then, you are able to manufacture, label, and package retail marijuana and retail marijuana products on the premise approved by the board.
Additionally, you are able to sell retail marijuana products to dispensaries and other marijuana manufacturing facilities. You can not see directly to the consumer. In order to sell directly to the consumer, you need a retail license.
Preparing Marijuana in Virginia
Retail marijuana products have to be prepared on a licensed premise that is solely for the manufacture and preparation of retail marijuana or marijuana products. Also, you have to use equipment that’s sole purpose is for the manufacture and preparation of retail marijuana products.
Our cannabis consulting firm in Virginia can help you make sure you are knowledgeable about the correct equipment for your manufacturing facility so that you can win a cannabis license in the state.
Sanitary Procedures and Tracking for Marijuana Manufacturing License in Virginia
Additionally, if you are a manufacturer of cannabis in Virginia, you have to make sure to follow all necessary sanitary procedures. All retail marijuana and retail marijuana products have to meet all of the sanitary standards specified within regulations adopted by the board.
In addition to that, a marijuana manufacturing facility in Virginia has to track the retail marijuana it uses within the manufacturing processes. So, from the point, the retail marijuana is delivered or transferred to the marijuana manufacturing facility by a marijuana cultivation facility to the point the retail marijuana or retail marijuana products produced using the retail marijuana is delivered or transferred to another marijuana manufacturing facility, a marijuana testing facility, or a retail marijuana store.
Contact our cannabis consultants in Virginia for more information about writing this plan.
Retail marijuana and retail marijuana products must have specific labels. Information on these labels include:
- Identification of the type of marijuana product. This also must include the date of cultivation, manufacturing, and packaging
- The license number of the cultivation facility, manufacturing facility, and the retail marijuana store where the product was cultivated, manufactured, and offered for sale
- A statement of the net weight of the retail marijuana or retail marijuana product
- Information about active ingredients. This includes THC, CBD, and other cannabinoids
- Additionally, you need to include information about gases, solvents, and chemicals
Specific Rules for Packaging Marijuana in Virginia
Retail marijuana and retail marijuana products have to be prepackaged in child-resistant, tamper-evident, and resealable packaging that is opaque. Also, the design of the packaging can not appeal to children. For liquid marijuana products, the board requires an integral measure component.
Packaging must comply with any other requirements made by the board.
Health and Safety Requirements for Edibles with a Manufacturing License in Virginia
Safety is an important part of the cannabis industry. Talk to our cannabis consultants about application writing for a health and safety plan for your future cannabis business.
Therefore, with a manufacturing license in Virginia, marijuana edibles have to be safe and effective to the public. For example, the board requires that marijuana products are manufactured in a manner that:
- Results in the cannabinoid content within the product being homogeneous throughout the product
- And results in the amount of marijuana concentrate within the product being homogeneous throughout the product
- Products have to have universal symbols stamped on each serving of the product
- Also, products can not contain more than 100 milligrams of THC per serving of the product. Additionally, that product can not contain more than 100 milligrams of THC per package of the product.
The board also regulates the additives for edible marijuana products. Edibles can not contain additives that are:
- Toxic or harmful to human beings
- Specifically designed to make the product more addictive
- Misleading to consumers
- Specifically designed to make the product appeal to those under the age of 21
Lastly, the board prohibits the addition of marijuana to a trademarked food or drink product. This is unless the product is a component of or ingredient in the edible. With that, the edible retail marijuana product can not have an advertisement or description for sale that it contains the trademarked product.
With that, there are plenty of licenses available for cannabis businesses in Virginia. Our cannabis consulting firm offers a variety of services to help you win a license. Contact us today for a head start on your business plan.