Cannabis Manufacturer License in New Jersey
New Jersey is in the process of establishing a recreational market within its state. Now, business entrepreneurs have the opportunity to obtain cannabis licenses so that they can operate cannabis businesses. With that, New Jersey offers a plethora of cannabis business licenses that you can apply for. Our cannabis consulting services in New Jersey provide resources and an expert consulting team to help you apply and win a license. Within this article, we explain what you can do with a cannabis manufacturer license in New Jersey.
For more information about different cannabis business opportunities in New Jersey, check out this article from our New Jersey cannabis consultants.
What is a Cannabis Manufacturer?
A cannabis manufacturer is any person or entity that processes cannabis items in New Jersey. They can purchase, manufacture, prepare, and package cannabis items. Additionally, they are able to sell and transport these items to other processors, wholesalers, and retailers. With that, a cannabis manufacturer license in New Jersey does not allow you to sell cannabis to consumers. In order to become a cannabis manufacturer, you need a Class 2 Cannabis Processor license. If you want to sell cannabis to consumers you need a retailer license.
Class 2 Cannabis Manufacturer License in New Jersey
As mentioned above, in order to be a cannabis processor you have to have a Class 2 Cannabis Manufacturer license. 35 percent of these licenses are conditional and at least 25 percent of manufacturer licenses are for cannabis microbusinesses. Additionally, the commission will evaluate consumer demand and provide additional licenses if necessary.
How to Apply for a Cannabis Manufacturer License
In order to apply for a cannabis manufacturer license, you have to meet a certain amount of requirements. Some of these requirements include:
- A background check for the persons involved within the application
- Must have at least one significantly involved person who has resided within New Jersey for at least 2 years
- Additional criminal history background checks and fingerprints from persons listed within the application
The commission also creates certain rules for cannabis processors in New Jersey have to follow. For example, the commission shall:
- Establish application, licensure, and renewal of licensure fees for cannabis processors
- Require cannabis produced by cannabis processors to be tested in accordance with the correct regulations for cannabis testing
- Require a cannabis processor to meet any public health and safety standards, industry best practices, and all applicable regulations that are established by the commission
The commission in New Jersey creates additional requirements for a cannabis manufacturer license in New Jersey. Lastly, the bill for the rules and regulations for cannabis licenses in New Jersey is found here.