Cannabis License Consultant in Maine
Updated May 2021 | In 2020, Maine officially launched its adult-use cannabis program after numerous delays. In this post, our marijuana consultants at Quantum 9 help you understand the confusing process of obtaining a cannabis license in Maine.
History of Cannabis in Maine
Maine allows for medical marijuana patients from out of state to purchase up to 2.5 ounces every 15 days. The list of approved states can be found here. However, it is illegal to transport marijuana across state lines.
Legalizing Adult-Use Cannabis in Maine
Maine voters legalized recreational marijuana for adult-use in 2016. However, the previous Governor, Paul Lepage, delayed the launch without a date. Above all, Lepage was a staunch opponent of marijuana legalization.
Officials in Maine hope to launch the program this fall. Originally the program was delayed until June because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Officials postponed the launch again to allow for stores to get approved and meet the expected demand.
But, only ten percent of municipalities in Maine have opted into the program so far.
Maine’s largest city, Portland has capped the amount of dispensaries at 20. Dispensaries will also need to be at least 250 feet apart. In addition, Portland gives extra points to applicants who have lived in Maine for over 5 years.
The Marijuana Business Factbook predicts that in-state customers will range from 190,000 to 230,000. In addition, Maine’s large tourism industry will bring in more customers. Consequently, Maine is expected to have a $300 million marijuana industry.
Applying for a License | Tips from Cannabis License Consultant in Maine
There are three steps to obtain a cannabis license in Maine. However, before we dive into the steps, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the types of adult-use cannabis licenses that are available. You will want to apply for the cannabis license that matches the type of cannabis business you plan to operate.
As it stands, there are currently four types of Maine Cannabis Licenses:
- Marijuana Store License (aka retail/dispensary license)
- Cannabis Cultivation License
- Cannabis Manufacturing License
- Marijuana Testing Facility License
If you would like to learn more about a certain type of license and the type that fits your goals, please feel free to reach out to one of our expert Cannabis License Consultants in Maine. Now, let’s describe the three-step process for getting an adult-use marijuana license in Maine
Part One – Conditional Licensure
First, Maine requires applicants to apply for a Conditional License. Our Cannabis Application Writers in Maine compiled the important aspects of this step and listed them below:
- Applicants must submit a criminal history check via IndentoGo
- Every officer, director, or partner will need to submit a criminal history check if the applicant is a business.
- Each employee and applicant must obtain an Office of Marijuana Policy Individual Identification Card
- The application can be found here
- After that, submit an application for the conditional license and pay the associated fee
- Dispensaries, products manufacturers, and testing labs – $250
- Cultivation facilities – range from $100 for tier 1 to $500 for tier 4
- The OMP will either deny or issue the conditional license within 90 days of receiving the application materials
In addition, in order to win a conditional cannabis license in Maine, you must submit:
- Principal(s) Attestation(s)
- Maine Revenue Services – Authorization to Review and Disclose Status of Tax and Filing Obligations to the Maine Office of Marijuana Policy – Principal(s)
- Ownership Agreement(s)
- Financial Instrument(s)
- Operating Plan
- Cultivation Plan (if applicable)
- Business organizing documents (articles of incorporation, articles of organization, etc.)
We understand the time commitment that is required to win a cannabis license in Maine. For this reason, our cannabis application writers exist to help you win a license while saving you time and headaches. Reach out to our cannabis consulting firm in Maine today to learn how we can help you win a license and start a cannabis business.
Part Two – Local Authorization
After that, the applicants must wait for local authorities to issue an active license.
Municipalities have 90 days to respond.
- The community will approve the request if they meet local regulation and license requirements
- The municipality will send the decision directly to OMP
- The OMP will request supplemental documents within 10 days of receiving the municipality decision
Part Three – Active Licensure
Lastly, once the Conditional License is issued and the Local Authorization Form is received by OMP, the applicant will be required to provide—without limitation—the following:
- Evidence of compliance with all applicable electrical inspections and permitting requirements
- Proof of compliance with respect to extraction (see Rule 3.8.4 for products manufacturing only)
- Facility Plan
- Security Plan
- Updated Operating Plan
- Updated Cultivation Plan
- Excise Tax Identification Number (cultivation only)
- Sales Tax Identification Number
- Proof of registration with the State Tax Assessor
- Proof of registration with a tracking system
This process will get you an adult-use marijuana license in Maine!
Cannabis License Rules in Maine
Maine law allows for adults over 21 to possess up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana. You must present a valid photo I.D whenever purchasing marijuana. Adults must have a cannabis license in Maine to purchase medical marijuana.
Adults must consume marijuana on private property. Similarly, it is illegal to drive under the influence.
In addition, adults are allowed to cultivate 3 flowering plans. The plants must be out of public view and away from children. The plants must have the following information:
- Grower’s name
- Grower’s Maine driver’s license number
- OR Maine ID number
Cannabis Consultant in Maine
Quantum 9 offers services that make the application process easier. We presently enjoy an 90.12% success rate. Our CEO, Michael Mayes is an expert marijuana consultant. He is quoted frequently in Forbes, Yahoo Finance, and The Chicago Tribune.
In other words, Quantum 9 has some of the most qualified cannabis license consultant in Maine and the country. We would love to help you obtain a cannabis license in Maine.
In conclusion, if you have any questions, be sure to contact us. We are here to help!
Related Articles from our Cannabis License Consultant in Maine: